Friday, July 4, 2008

THE DANGER OF BEING A NIGERIAN

No matter who you are, or where you may be, you can do something to change the world for the better.” – Dr. Edmond L. Kramer

I am grateful to the Creator for making me a Nigerian. And a Nigerian will I remain.

Nigeria, I must confess has brought me opportunities. I have found my PLACE – Passion; Love; Ability; Calling; and Energy in this land, in spite of the myriad of difficulties and challenges we face as a nation and people.

I am living the life of my dream in Nigeria. It is the general believe that in this country we do not have a reading culture. But in less than four years I have authored seven motivational books.

Some years back, what is today known as the comedy industry in Nigeria was only a figment of the imagination.

In the same light, I find myself operating in an emerging industry in this country – Motivational Speaking Industry. However, I have been able to cut a niche for myself in this ‘oratorical’ sphere of profession so much so that I have begun to share platforms with some of the ‘big boys’ in the industry.

Isn’t it amazing that when you say to the world “This is who I am,” the world steps back for a moment to watch you and when they see your seriousness they finally accept you and re-echo “This is who you are.” Today people call me Motivational Speaker.

Looking at the title of this piece and what you have been reading so far, you might want to say that there is a disparity.

I mean how can I be claiming all of these and still say there is a danger in being a Nigerian. What danger is there? Or could I be possibly insinuating that God makes mistakes?

Far be it from me to even think of it not to talk of saying that the Almighty and all-knowing God whom I serve makes mistakes.

Look at the title again. Do you notice it does not say “The Danger of Being CREATED as a Nigerian?” It simply says, “THE DANGER OF BEING A NIGERIAN.”

Now, this is where the crux of the matter is. I have found out that in Nigeria it is so easy to live a life of mediocrity and remain in obscurity and still have seemingly cogent reasons as excuses. In fact it is so bad that even the society will reason along with you.

Look at it; the government is not providing jobs for graduates. The private sector is not helping matters. For most of us, our parents are not well-to-do; hence don’t have the necessary connections. I will like to describe this as the Nigerian mentality – a mentality that is always looking for someone else to blame - never taking responsibility.

I think it should be drummed into our ears that all of us are primarily responsible for what becomes of us in life. We are the architects of our own destinies. You were born a male but it is your responsibility to become a man. It is natural to grow old but it takes responsibility – share determination and commitment to GROW UP.

These are just a few of the excuses we give to back up our lack of desire, determination and discipline to demand a change for our lives.

You see, God created you on purpose. He made no mistake at all. He knew that Nigeria would be in all these mess at this time and that is why He sent you here at such a time as this. “There must be a unique and peculiar area in which a person can excel if he looks well enough at himself or herself.” – A. Olabode Adeleye

A Chinese proverb says, “There is no need cursing the darkness when you can light a candle.” You are the light. You are sent here to set things right. Running out of this country because of the challenges is a denial of destiny. Enough of complaining; it is time to light your candle. Do something with your gift and ideas and watch your life blossom.

Do you know that there is a 2025 vision when Nigeria will become the most sought after nation on earth? See, it is not the Americans that will make that vision come through it is you and me – Nigerians.

You have a major role to play. No more excuses. Dump the general, negative mentality and become an agent of and for positive change.

“The world is not waiting for explanation; they are waiting for your manifestation.” – Rotimi Akinwale

God bless you; God bless Nigeria!

No comments: